Housefull 2 - Review
Dir: Sajid Khan
Housefull 2 is nothing more and nothing less that what you'd expect from it. you know the director and his genre, so you know how you'll like the film. I was a tiny bit surprised with the momentum maintained in the chaos. But an 'aah...interesting' kind of a surprise doesn't necessarily make it a fun experience.
Click on the tabs below for wogma review, external reviews, user reviews, and twitter verdict
It's difficult to call the makers of Housefull 2 mindless or unintelligent. There's no way someone can make something so silly and not know it. It requires a high level of awareness to write and make a film so profoundly senseless. And from the manner in which the entire audience was laughing it looks like they have done their homework on what the 'first day first show' audience enjoys. Of course, none of this newfound admiration converts me into that part of the audience that enjoys such humor.
Given how little typical slapstick makes me laugh, it was almost a miracle that I laughed hard at a couple of the 'repeat phrase/expression' assigned to a couple of characters. And of course, they had to go ahead and spoil it by repeating it, for what feels like, a few hundred times! And that's the problem with films like these. They don't know where to stop, neither with their specific jokes nor the film itself.
It's high time, we make it mandatory for writers to spend a year just on the climax. The utter tomfoolery in the last 20-30 minutes makes you want to bang your head on a wall harder than you were doing thus far. What with one of the worst opening sequences ever.
Yet, a part of me is in awe of the writer's capacity to keep the utter chaos amongst twelve lead characters at a peak through most of the film. Of course again, I didn't enjoy the chaos but I certainly couldn't stop admiring how the writers seemed to have the story straight in their head amidst absolute commotion.
The writing also attempts at a wide range of tools to create humor - from puns to rhymes to toilet humor to sexual jokes to sarcasm to 'pet phrases/expressions' to mimicry to what-say-you. Some work, most don't. Almost all repeat.
Also, for a change I enjoyed Akshay Kumar and John Abraham's comic timing. Before it became repetitive. Amongst the women Asin gets a teeny-weeny bit to display her ability to make people laugh. While Riteish Deshmukh and Shreyas Talpade have as banal and inconsequential roles as the rest of the women, they at least are not insulted for being the gender they belong to. Please appreciate the amount of control I've maintained in not going all out and on and on about how ridiculously stupid ALL the women in the film are. Also, the lesser I say about the veterans the quicker I'll be able to forget how insulted I felt by watching them in such menial roles.
Housefull 2 is one of those rare films where I looked forward to the song breaks - nice, colorful, well-dressed good-looking people. That just about describes Housefull 2 in its entirety except that the film has some not-so-good-looking people too.
Housefull 2 made me want to experience what it is the writers were having when they wrote it. Worry not, just as an experiment, one should know what it feels like, no?
- meeta, a part of the audience
- Violence: A few slaps.
- Language: No abusive language.
- Nudity & Sexual content: Skimpily clad women and a couple of suggestive dances. Also a sexy woman trying to seduce two old men.
- Concept: Let me know if you figure it out. As far as I know it's chaos, chaos and more chaos.
- General Look and Feel: Bright and loud
Housefull 2 - Movie Details
- Official Sites: Website Facebook YouTube Wikipedia IMDB
- Banner: Nadiadwala Grandson Entertainment, Sajid Nadiadwala Productions UK, Eros International
- Producer: Sajid Nadiadwala
- Director: Sajid Khan
- Lead Cast: Akshay Kumar, Riteish Deshmukh, Shreyas Talpade, John Abraham, Asin Thottumkal, Jacqueline Fernandez, Shazahn Padamsee, Zarine Khan, Mithun Chakraborty, Rishi Kapoor, Randhir Kapoor, Boman Irani
- Supporting Cast: Chunkey Pandey, Johnny Lever, Suparna Marwah, Neelu Kohli, Sandeep Garcha, Subhaan Nadiadwala, Ranjeet
- Story: Sajid Nadiadwala
- Screenplay: Sajid Khan, Tushar Hiranandani, Farhad, Sajid
- Choreography: Farah Khan, Farah Khan
- Music Director: Sajid, Wajid
- Lyrics: Sameer
- Costume Designer: Aki Narula, Shyamli
- Facebook Page: Link
- Running time: 165 minutes
- Reviewer: meeta
- Language: Hindi
- Country: India
- Genres: Comedy, Slapstick
Housefull 2 - Trailer
If you cannot see a video above, click here to see it on YouTube