Review - Vivah: Don't hold your head and shake it in despair, just leave the theatre
Click on the tabs below for wogma review, external reviews, user reviews, and twitter verdict
That is, if you go there in the first place! Fans of Sooraj Barjatya - if that species is not extinct yet - might enjoy a few moments of his typical style. The rest of us didn't care in the first place.
The lead pair whispers as if the listener has the most delicate eardrums and the heroine heaves, with her head at a 45 degree angle, as if she is soon going to need asthma medication. It is acceptable if they did that for the first few times - throughout the movie though? All actors, in lead and supporting roles, try to make the best of what lines are given to them. The only actor that stands out is Seema Biswas, she suits the different character she is given.
You have the predictable dialogues that spoon-feed the audience with details of the most obvious, and leave out technical details lest they distract you from the story (if it can be called that). The predictable plot has the ‘world’s best’ human beings (especially the over-virtuous, obedient hero and the nauseatingly shy heroine) – except one. Then there is the predictable screenplay, where the only place a couple can meet is temples and the only clandestine rendezvous is on a rooftop. And surely, there is the predictable exhibition of expensive saris, salwar suits, and jewelry. Kudos to consistency!!!
But, hey, the music is unpredictable – it is outright BAD! The good thing about earlier Sooraj Barjatya movies was at least they had songs you could appreciate when you saw them and were at least hummable. Songs of Vivah just make you wish the screeching stopped.
Wake up, Mr. Barjatya, it is no more the 80’s. We are getting used to much better cinema and you have much better equipment to provide us with it. So, do not take us for granted and serve us sub-standard products!
- meeta, a part of the audience
Vivah - Movie Details
- Official Sites: Facebook Wikipedia IMDB
- Banner: Rajshri Productions Pvt Ltd
- Producer: Ajit Kumar Barjatya, Kamal Kumar Barjatya
- Director: Sooraj Barjatya
- Lead Cast: Shahid Kapoor, Amrita Rao
- Supporting Cast: Anupam Kher, Alok Nath, Seema Biswas, Amrita Prakash
- Story: Sooraj Barjatya
- Screenplay: Sooraj Barjatya, Rajkumar Barjatya
- Dialogues: Aash Karan Atal, Aash Karan Atal
- Cinematography: Harish Joshi
- Editor: V N Mayekar
- Background Score: Ravindra Jain
- Action Choreography: Shyam Kaushal, Moses
- Choreography: Jay Borade
- Music Director: Ravindra Jain
- Costume Designer: Anna Singh
- Art Direction: Sanjay Dhabade
- Facebook Page: Link
- Reviewer: meeta
- Language: Hindi
- Country: India
- Genres: Family, Melodrama, Romance