Speedy Singhs (English, Hindi, Punjabi) - Review
The entire film could be labeled a forgone conclusion. Not one single thing happens that you wouldn't have been able to tell from the trailer, if not from the title of the film. From the family problems, to the relationships, to the outcome of the grand championship. As typical, an underdog film, as it could get.
Click on the tabs below for wogma review, external reviews, user reviews, and twitter verdict
Indians living abroad. Oh, what a rotten life they have! They have to make an identity for themselves, especially in a sport. So, what do they do? They make a team that has only Indians, naaah...these particular people are Punjabis, so they make a team of only Punjabis to fight the goras (Whites). Such is the convoluted interpretation of liberalism and/or nationalism.
Fine, I wasn't supposed to expect anything else from a film that calls itself Speedy Singhs. But, shouldn't there be at least a ghost of a story. Some conflict that will make me wonder what's to happen next. Let alone that, the conflict itself is predictable.
So, then, we have stand-up comedian Russell Peters and chocolate boy Vinay Virmani to look forward to. Or not. Though, it is imperative to mention that I saw a dubbed version of the film, which means all the actors were speaking out translations of English dialogues in Hindi in the utmost ridiculous fashion, you know like Night at a Museum in Hindi. Yes, Rob Lowe too! Oh, how I felt for one of my favorite West Wing actors.
The bhangra, the toilet jokes, and given there's Russell Peters, there are the racial, political incorrect humor too. None of it entertains or makes me laugh. It just felt like one of the films that make you go numb even if they are short.
- meeta, a part of the audience
- Violence: A little on the sporting field.
- Language: Clean
- Nudity & Sexual content: A kiss and some gay jokes.
- Concept: Underdog winning?
- General Look and Feel: amateur film-making
Speedy Singhs - Movie Details
- Official Sites: Website Facebook Twitter YouTube Wikipedia IMDB
- Banner: Hari Om Entertainment Co
- Producer: First Take Entertainment, Whizbang Films, Don Carmody Productions, Akshay Kumar, Ajay Virmani
- Director: Robert Lieberman
- Lead Cast: Vinay Virmani, Russell Peters, Rob Lowe
- Supporting Cast: Anupam Kher, Gurpreet Guggi, Nuoreen DeWulf, Sakeen Jaffrey, Camilla Belle
- Story: Vinay Virmani, Noel Baker, Jeffrey Schechter, Matt Simmo
- Screenplay: Vinay Virmani
- Dialogues: Matt SImpsons
- Cinematography: Steve Danyluk, Steve Danyluk
- Editor: Susan Shipton
- Background Score: Meet Bros Arjun Amit
- Action Choreography: Eric Bryson
- Music Director: Paul Intson, Sandeep Chowta
- Lyrics: Rbd, Kumaar
- Costume Designer: Darci Cheyne
- Art Direction: Celeste Koon
- Facebook Page: Link
- Running time: 100 minutes
- Reviewer: meeta
- Language: English, Hindi, Punjabi
- Country: Canada, India
- Genres: Comedy, Docu-drama, Sports
Speedy Singhs - Trailer
If you cannot see a video above, click here to see it on YouTube