Phas Gaye Re Obama - Review
Phas Gaye Re Obama is witty, crass slapstick, satirical and repetitive in turns. Every goon in town and the politician too is chasing an American dream -that of kidnapping an American based desi for some quick ransom money. Let your imagination go berserk around this situation, Phans Gaye Re Obama offers that and more - in terms of laughs, "eeeews", and plain and simple "blehs".
Click on the tabs below for wogma review, external reviews, user reviews, and twitter verdict
Phas Gaye Re Obama absolutely delivers on the sarcastic wit that the title implies. Satire runs in every dialogue and situation of the film. Unfortunately though, alongside the smart quips is also the oh-so-unnecessary slapstick. What could have been a classy comedy becomes yet another toilet-humor fest.
It is brilliant, however, that despite going the crude route every once in a while, the story doesn't shift focus from its basic plot. A slapstic comedy with focus - now isn't that a relief. In fact, there is a point in the latter half where I'm wondering how is Shastri (Rajat Kapoor) going to get out of this? I love it when the writer or director makes me think on his behalf. He has me hooked, irrespective of whether or not I'm enjoying his film.
Of course, a film like this wouldn't achieve half of what it aims to if the actors aren't capable of getting their timing right. Here, Sanjay Mishra, and the actor who plays Anni (Manu Rishi?) are just brilliant. Who would've thought that a movie would stand tall on their shoulders? That too, with Rajat Kapoor and Neha Dhupia around, in terms of "star-value". Both of them have forced dialogue delivery and Neha Dhupia's character is too stylized. Also, the feminism her character portrays is tasteless.
Yet, a person who enjoys slapstick is certainly going to enjoy Phas Gaye Re Obama much more than I did. So, a light, Sunday afternoon watch it is.
- meeta, a part of the audience
- Violence: Slaps and kidnapping (soft on the kidnapped though)
- Language: Crass at several occasions
- Nudity & Sexual content: Characters are watching a porn film and there's talk about condoms
- Concept: The recession and the farce that the American dream is for most people
- General Look and Feel: rugged texture with light humor
Phas Gaye Re Obama - Movie Details
- Banner: Revel Films Pvt Ltd, Warner Bros Pictures
- Producer: Ashok Pandey
- Director: Subhash Kapoor
- Lead Cast: Rajat Kapoor, Neha Dhupia
- Supporting Cast: Amol Gupte, Amit Sial, Sanjay Mishra
- Story: Subhash Kapoor
- Screenplay: Subhash Kapoor
- Dialogues: Subhash Kapoor
- Cinematography: Arvind Kannabiran, Arvind Kannabiran
- Editor: Sandeep Singh Bajeli
- Background Score: Manish J Tipu
- Choreography: Sagar Das, Sagar Das
- Music Director: Manish J Tipu
- Lyrics: Shellee, Gopal Tiwari
- Costume Designer: Veera Kapur
- Art Direction: Gautam Sen
- Running time: 120 minutes
- Reviewer: meeta
- Language: Hindi
- Genres: Comedy, Crime