Metro - Notepad
Dir: Anurag Basu
Great performances accompanied by smart lines. Irrfan Khan and Konkona Sen Sharma show versatility by succeeding at comedy too. The script has nice, consistent characters. And the songs have good lyrics too (for a change!). Unfortunately, everything is ruined by the most inept climax, leaving the audience with a sour after taste.
Click on the tabs below for wogma review, external reviews, user reviews, and twitter verdict
This page has additional observations, other than the ones noted in the main review.
Warning: this section has some details that could distort your experience while watching the movie. I strongly recommend reading this only after you have seen the movie or if you have decided not to see it.
Various characters and their combinations lead to relationships with varying degrees of complexity. Ranjeet (Kay Kay Menon) and Shikha's (Shilpa Shetty's) marriage faces peril while Rahul (Sharman Joshi) woos Neha (Kangna Ranaut). But, Neha has her own complex relationship to handle. Shruti (Kangna Ranaut) and Monty (Irrfan Khan) are still figuring out theirs.
- The strain in the Shikha (Shilpa Shetty)-Ranjeet (Kay Kay Menon) marital relationship was covered in barely two minutes, without the audience having to go through the details of their tiffs.
What did not
- The leap in dialogues from Shikha complimenting Akash (Shiney Ahuja) about his talent and him starting to talk about his wife.
- What was it that Shikha throws in a box on the road? Was it a letter in a mail box? If it was, why was it not in an envelope? And anyways, if they were not going to bother telling us what it was, why show it in the first place?
- Amol (Dharmendra) crosses railway tracks by jumping platforms. When he climbs onto the other platform, he does so like he is climbing a 6-inch step! A 60 year-old climbing a platform without support of his hands, when he needed support to jump down?
- Why is Shikha, the wife of a senior officer at a BPO, commuting by bus?
- Amol tells Shivani (Nafisa Ali) that he is terminally ill. And before asking what was wrong with him, she asks him how long he has to live. Is that really the natural flow of questions?
- Was the Ranjeet-Neha relationship a year old or two years? At one place they mention one year and at another two.
- Was there a specific reason why Amol wrote his diary in Urdu?