Hate Story - Review
The story - beyond the lead lady turning into a prostitute - might still have worked, I can imaginably have given that much to the writers. But, the film that it has turned into is certainly well worth hating. From acting to music to pretty much everything else, Hate Story pushes your patience to the brink.
Click on the tabs below for wogma review, external reviews, user reviews, and twitter verdict
Isn't it a shame that a woman has been so wronged by such an obnoxious man and I feel bad for her only conceptually? Only my imagination of what it must have been like evokes any kind of emotion out of me? And this is in the first half hour of the film. My exasperation only gets worse as the Hate Story progresses.
In the entire film, there are only two things that are just about okay. One is Gulshan Devaiya's stammer and the other is the attempt at making the story a business-mind game. But these are barely things that I can call that 'work' or 'are going for the film'. They just happen to be there for me to be able to say at least a few things nice about the film. Okay fine, Nikhil Dwivedi broods just about right.
Talking about Paoli Dam's performance would involve recalling her whispering and sighing in attempt to seduce, which I'm trying my best to resist. And..."ha ha ha ha ha ha" this is a ROFL at those who went in expecting sizzling, explicit sex based on the promos. Little do they know they've seen all there is to see in the trailer itself. In fact, the uncensored version of the trailer has even a little more than the film. And another, "ha ha ha ha ha ha" at me - for wondering, even for the slightest moment, if Hate Story would finally be the Hindi film that shows two people can be comfortable with their bodies and themselves while having sex.
Now, the whole idea behind having the lead lady turn into a top-notch call-girl is obviously to be able to market the film. Then, I am giving it too much benefit of doubt by thinking, "Sure they didn't tell me exactly why she HAD to turn into a prostitute, but maybe it was the easiest way for her to get what she wanted."
One thing Hate Story does a god job of, is to expose the fragility of the male ego. One male after another falls for this woman whose focus is only her revenge and not one relents even after they know the truth about her. But then again, you don't need to see a movie for that, do you? runs for shelter
Oh, the other selling point in the trailer seemed to be the free use of cuss words. Character after character uses the f-word more awkwardly than 12-year olds who use that language.
Unfortunately, everything in Hate Story sounds and looks contrived with the sole motivation of getting the audience to the theater - by hook or crook. And it doesn't quite work.
- meeta, a part of the audience
- Violence: A woman is dragged to a remote village to get an abortion and hysterectomy
- Language: Lots of A-rated language - including the f-word and the c-word or versions thereof.
- Nudity & Sexual content: The lead lady turns into a prostitute and is shown seducing man after man.
- Concept: Revenge of a woman scorned.
- General Look and Feel: B-grade wannabe sex film.
Hate Story - Movie Details
- Official Sites: Facebook Wikipedia IMDB
- Banner: BVG Films
- Producer: Vikram Bhatt
- Director: Vivek Agnihotri
- Lead Cast: Gulshan Devaiya, Paoli Dam, Nikhil Dwivedi
- Supporting Cast: Mohan Kapoor, Joy Sengupta, Saurabh Dubey, Iravati Harshe, Bhairavi Goswami, Gopal Singh
- Story: Vikram Bhatt
- Screenplay: Vikram Bhatt
- Dialogues: Rohit Malhotra
- Cinematography: Attar Singh Saini
- Editor: Satyajeet Gazmer
- Background Score: Amar Mohile
- Action Choreography: Abbas Ali Moghul
- Music Director: Harshit Saxena
- Lyrics: Kumaar
- Facebook Page: Link
- Running time: 135 minutes
- Reviewer: meeta
- Language: Hindi
- Country: India
- Genres: Politics, Thriller
Hate Story - Trailer
If you cannot see a video above, click here to see it on YouTube