Guddu Rangeela - Review
Click on the tabs below for wogma review, external reviews, user reviews, and twitter verdict
Guddu Rangeela carries the weight of being a “message” film while the thriller elements had it going for the film quite well. It has been a while since I have seen a Hindi film that corners the protagonists and the antagonist in turns, well enough to make you worry/be happy. Unfortunately, this doesn't stay through the end and Guddu Rangeela becomes like any other Hindi film.
I understand the issue of honor killing is an important one and cannot have enough awareness in the hope that something is done about it soon. In fact, it is such a serious issue that maybe it is impossible to write a story about it without coming across heavily as trying to say something other than just a story. That then, becomes jarring after a while.
It doesn't help that except for the few unexpected twists in the film, the writing lets you down. At many points, the film seems like it is dragging with a song or a joke added. Almost as if it knows it has gotten too serious and needs to lighten up. This in turn looks as forced as it is.
Also, while the attempt is to keep the look and feel of the film authentic, a story like this would never have happened in real life. It is not even about the over-simplistic narrative. It is one of those films that asks you not to think too much.
The accents too are overtly rural and inconsistent. It felt like the actors slipped into the dialect when they remembered or were reminded to do so, else it slipped by. The actors all do alright. Nothing too great is asked of them and none is delivered. Even so, Ronit Roy shines. He is one villain who gives me the shivers, even if it is the first time he is on screen in the film – invariably he is playing a character who you have to be wary of – ruthless.
A heinous villain and a few smart plot twists though aren't good enough to take you to the theater, though, right?
- meeta, a part of the audience
- Violence: Lots and some gruesome too.
- Language: A few abusive words are used. Some are silenced out.
- Nudity & Sexual content: None
- Concept: A handful of people take on the fight against honor killing
- General Look and Feel: A non-urban/non-rural environment, except for a few scenes.
Guddu Rangeela - Movie Details
- Official Sites: Facebook Twitter YouTube Wikipedia IMDB
- Banner: Fox Star Studios, Mangal Murti Films PVT. LTD.
- Producer: Sangeeta Ahir
- Director: Subhash Kapoor
- Lead Cast: Arshad Warsi, Aditi Rao Hydari, Ronit Roy, Amit Sadh
- Supporting Cast: Dibyendu Bhatttacharya, Amit Sial, Br, Rajeev Gupta, Sree Swara Dubey
- Story: Subhash Kapoor
- Cinematography: James Fowlds
- Editor: Arindam Ghatak
- Background Score: Hitesh Sonik
- Action Choreography: Pradyuman Kumar
- Music Director: Amit Trivedi, Subhash Kapoor
- Lyrics: Irshad Kamil, Subhash Kapoor
- Costume Designer: Veera Kapur
- Facebook Page: Link
- Running time: 130 minutes
- Reviewer: meeta
- Language: Hindi
- Country: India
- Genres: Social, Thriller
Guddu Rangeela - Trailer
If you cannot see a video above, click here to see it on YouTube