Ek Thi Daayan - Notepad
Ek Thi Daayan builds at a good pace and takes the proceedings to a great peak at mid-time. Unfortunately, it goes only down after interval. Yet, there are a few genuine scares and good performances. A casual DVD watch.
Click on the tabs below for wogma review, external reviews, user reviews, and twitter verdict
This page has additional observations, other than the ones noted in the main review.
A magician with many tricks up his sleeve (Emraan Hashmi) often gets distracted by a little girl calling out to him. Is she his hallucination or is she visiting him from the other side?
Side note: It is a shame that the makers have to so many disclaimers before they can get on with the film. Just so the next group of people doesn't get offended.
- The opening shot. Created a nice spooky feel. Unfortunately, it didn't stay for too long.
- Scenes where there was no background music. Few, but worked well.
- The sound of waves in the background, in a couple of scenes.
- Lizards don't scare me, but I can just imagine the advantage the film has over people who are creeped out by lizards.
- The concept of hell and how one gets there.
- Konkana Sen Sharma's first look! The first time you see her on screen and you are spooked.
- The fake happy look by Vishesh Tiwari.
- The similarity between a lizard's tail and a witch's braid.
- The Voldemort-style decomposition of the evil spirit.
- That Bobo (Emraan Hashmi) goes after random women's braids.
What did not
- Bobo! What kind of a name is that?!
- How does Tamara fall off the balcony? Not that I am asking for detailed explanation, but even half an explanation that would make me speculate on behalf of the write, would have been good enough.
- Hypnosis was used to just as a medium to go for a flashback. Wish it was used as therapy.
- The angle between Bobo's dad (Pawan Malhotra) and Diana (Konkona Sen Sharma).
- Sudden good humor that we find Bobo in, when he meets Tamara at the hospital.
- The wedding song!
- Found it hilarious that Bobo's house had the typical psychiatrist 'S' chair as a part of the furniture.
- Whatever happened to Lisa's obsession? What about the promise Bobo makes to her?
- Why is Tamara wanting to sell Bobo's flat?
- The logic that only an innocent soul should be cutting the witch's braid off is contradicted in the film, itself.
- Lisa's lame story to explain where she was when the entire action was on.
- A few more holes in the story which give the twist away.
- Why was a child dressed in full-sleeved shirts and trousers, even at night? I think I saw him casual wear which was a night suite, only once.