Veerappan - Review
Click on the tabs below for wogma review, external reviews, user reviews, and twitter verdict
It suffers from the usual trappings of a RGV film – loud background music, weird camera angles of props that make them look unnecessarily spooky, lots of slow-mo, awful performances. On the other hand though, we get regular breaks from each of the above. Ok, except for the awful performances. I would've added that the silver lining is that it has an intriguing story but you are never allowed to connect with the characters and the narration is not gripping enough to engage you otherwise.
For one, whenever you could be a part of the plot, you are distanced. Discussions between characters are muted under loud music. You are left looking at characters animatedly moving their lips at each other with over-enthusiastic expressions. This doesn't happen just once or twice, but is a regular feature.
Beyond that then, it is plotting and failings from both sides that make both Veerappan and the police officer look sinister. In fact, at times the police officer comes across as gruesome and manipulative. While this could be viewed as an attempt at striking a balance, the police officers are justified a little too often. Also, you never get too close to the details anyway.
The funniest bit is I found myself giving Veerappan, the film a few marks because it wasn't as much of a disasterous two hours as I expected it to be. That unfortunately, isn't really speaking for the film now, is it?
- meeta, a part of the audience
- Violence: Loads
- Language: Abusive language silenced out
- Nudity & Sexual content: None
- Concept: True life account of the police's encounters with ruthless extortionist, Veerappan
- General Look and Feel: Nothing out of the ordinary.
Veerappan - Movie Details
- Official Sites: Facebook Twitter YouTube Wikipedia IMDB
- Banner: Viiking Media and Entertainment
- Producer: B.V. Manjunath, Raina Sachiin Joshi
- Director: Ram Gopal Varma
- Lead Cast: Shiva Rajkumar, Sandeep Bharadwaj, Lisa Ray
- Supporting Cast: Sachiin Joshi, Usha Jadhav, Zarine Khan
- Editor: Anwar Ali, Rammy
- Action Choreography: Allan Amin
- Music Director: Jeet Gannguli, Sharib Sabri, Toshi Sabri
- Lyrics: Manoj Muntashir, Manoj Yadav
- Art Direction: Raghu Kulkarni
- Facebook Page: Link
- Running time: 125 minutes
- Reviewer: meeta
- Language: Hindi
- Country: India
- Genres: Based on true life story, Crime
Veerappan - Trailer
If you cannot see a video above, click here to see it on YouTube