Toonpur ka superhero - Review
Even if it might be the best animation film to come out of Mumbai, it is not good enough. There's an attempt to cram everything seen in films from Hollywood in one film, whether or not there's room for the concept. Yet, it might not be a bad entertainer for kids with some caramel popcorn handy.
Click on the tabs below for wogma review, external reviews, user reviews, and twitter verdict
An exciting start introduces you to a gamut of cartoon characters who largely represent real-life stereotypes but have potential to entertain. Unfortunately, the length of the film is restricted by the attention span of the target audience, clearly under 10. Hence, no justice can be done to any of those characters. So, you are left with a mish-mash of characters that just about stay together as a story. A story of a father wanting to be a hero for his kids, so what if it is fighting cartoons with the help of cartoons.
I'm sure kids below ten will enjoy the film, its gimmickry, slapstick included. But, I don't really like the idea of well-endowed women trying to move it and attract the attention of a man they woo by calling him handsome and hot. More so because these women are animated and meant to entertain kids
Sure, there's more to the film than the vamp, the anti-vamp and the wife who's insecure of women in sketch. I liked the bit where a dad's presence at a school race is more important to a child than the race itself. Similarly, it felt warm to see the importance a dad gives to his son's admonition and name-calling because the dad sees truth in it.
But this warmth fizzles out as characters are introduced and you are disconnected slowly and surely from one and all. You don't root for anyone and you aren't scared for anyone's safety because of the threat the villain poses. In fact, the villain isn't given enough screen time to make an impact at all; most of it is hogged by Ajay Devgn and his childish antics.
This is even more evident when some room is given to "rub-doot", a cartoon eraser. Those 5-7 minutes of his screen time are thoroughly enjoyable. I wish more such fun times were spent writing meatier bits for other characters. Over and above being superior to animation done thus far, we need some superior writing - animation or not. The wonderful glimpse you get makes you wonder, why you couldn't have had more.
For those few moments, I just might send my kids to watch the film. Or maybe will have them wait for the DVD to be out on rent. Or maybe not. Or whatever.
- meeta, a part of the audience
- Violence: Loads of bubblegum fights and videogame type of violence
- Language: clean
- Nudity & Sexual content: cartoon women wooing Ajay Devgn with their sex appeal
- Concept: Good vs. Evil
- General Look and Feel: Animation
Toonpur ka superhero - Movie Details
- Official Sites: Website Facebook Wikipedia IMDB
- Banner: Eros Entertainment, Big Screen Pvt Ltd
- Producer: Krishika Lulla, Kumar Mangat
- Director: Kireet Khurana
- Lead Cast: Ajay Devgan, Kajol, Amey Pandya, Chinky Jaiswal
- Supporting Cast: Manoj Tiwari, Sanjay Mishra, Satish Sharma, Delnaz Paul, Shereveer Vakil
- Story: Raagi Bhatnagar
- Screenplay: Kireet Khurana
- Dialogues: Mubeen Farooqi, Mubeen Farooqi
- Cinematography: Nirmal Jani, Nirmal Jani
- Editor: Dharmendra Sharma
- Background Score: Tapas Relia
- Action Choreography: Jack Gill
- Music Director: Anu Malik
- Lyrics: Munna Dhiman, Kumaar
- Costume Designer: Komal Shahani
- Art Direction: Narendra Rahurikar
- Facebook Page: Link
- Running time: 105 minutes
- Reviewer: meeta
- Language: Hindi
- Genres: Action, Adventure, Animation, Kids
Toonpur ka superhero - Trailer
If you cannot see a video above, click here to see it on YouTube