Student of the Year - Notepad
Student of the Year picks of several themes of love, friendship, parenting, unhealthy competition in society. But it does no justice to even one of them. It turned out to be pretty bad eventually but yet not as awful as I thought it'd be.
Click on the tabs below for wogma review, external reviews, user reviews, and twitter verdict
This page has additional observations, other than the ones noted in the main review.
Rohan (Varun Dhawan), Shanaya (Alia Bhatt) and Abhimanyu (Siddharth Malhotra) are students at a fancy college which has a competition every year to award a student with the award for Student of the Year. Love brews, so does competition and jealousy.
- The 'papa kehte hai' turning into 'who cares!?'
- The sports choreography at some places.
- The background music and picturisation in the marriage sequence till it gets to the typical close-up of the hands.
- A gay couple in the dance.
What did not
- The 3 Idiots style of opening.
- The character introductions
- Sushma Seth for half a shot. Why have her at all?
- Use of O M G.
- How do the students know who is poor and who is rich when they haven't even met each other?
- The rich-poor divide. The chamchas of the rich guys were from middle-class backgrounds too, so the rich did hang out with the not-rich students too.
- The toilet humor
- The mom asking daughter if she was using techniques like push-up bras and flirtatious BBMs to get the rich guy!
- Playboy T-shirts, really?
- The overdone jealousy in the massage on beach scene.
- The talk of dates for the dance sequence, but no one really was dancing with their partner.
- The way the triathlon is shot, nothing creative or engaging at all.