Om Shanti Om - Notepad
Om Shanti Om is a mediocre variety entertainment program. The movie gets marred because the makers did not have the courage to make a spoof for the sake of a spoof. It is obvious that the story was forced to make the movie sell. Had they stuck to the industry jokes, it would have been as entertaining as a gossip magazine.
Click on the tabs below for wogma review, external reviews, user reviews, and twitter verdict
This page has additional observations, other than the ones noted in the main review.
Om Prakash Makhija (Shah Rukh Khan) a junior artist in the Hindi film industry is in love with a star actress, Shanti (Deepika Padukone). They meet, they become friends, but whether or not they are "made for each other" is for you to find out.
- The editing used to intersperse Karz's "Om Shanti Om" with present day shots. The color matching in this opening sequence is amazing.
- The digital effects used to bring Deepika Padukone in the same screen space as Sunil Dutt, and Jeetendra are really cool. The outcome is grainy but the effect is convincing enough.
- The gag that a Om becomes a star in the film industry as soon as his last name changes from Makhija to Kapoor.
- The award ceremony. Absolutely hilarious!
- Digital effects of the scene in which Om Kapoor remembers things from his past life.
- The 'you scratch my back, I scratch yours' dance step between Govinda and Shah Rukh Khan.
- The lighting and camerawork in the sequence where the chandelier is oscillating.
What did not
- Kirron Kher's spoof of a "bollywood mother". Wasn't funny, wasn't entertaining. Was loud, was irritiating.
- The Manoj Kumar joke.
- How on earth did Om Makhija enter the studio set that was on fire through such a small hole in the glass pane of the door?!
- The product placement all over.
- The many situations that needed explanation, despite it being a spoof and all that. Anything doesn't go:
- The transfer of soul and body from Om Makhija to Om Kapoor
- The disappearance of Om Kapoor's pyrophobia
- Om Kapoor's change of attitude from being a carefree spoilt brat to a responsible person.
- The sudden appearance Shanti's soul
- What's with Vidya Balan trying to fit into tight, short dresses? She is so adorable, does she really need to be told to take a look in the mirror before facing the camera?