Review - Maharathi: Thrillers shouldn’t drag
Click on the tabs below for wogma review, external reviews, user reviews, and twitter verdict
Maharathi serves more as a slap on the face of all those people who use Paresh Rawal, Boman Irani and even Om Puri in mindless slapstick. And rightly so. These men are capable of so much more than the average script they take up. Alas, the thriller doesn’t chill the spine.
The anxiety doesn’t build-up because each frame is given that little extra time to linger, each character that extra moment to make roots in our minds, each actor that extra moment to shine. Except in that one-off case, the senses are stimulated and then given a breather which kills the suspense.
Also, I find the thrillers that go back-and-forth-and-back-again very tiring. Not because I have to keep track of the turn and re-turn of the events, but because it gives a feeling of ‘we are trying to hard to thrill you, you better sit on the edge now.’
To add to this, only one aspect of each character is exposed to screen. The others we are either blind to or left half-baked. So when you don’t know if the scheming mind himself wants the loot or not, you wouldn’t know who to root for. Sure, you don’t always need someone to cheer, ok, give me someone to get frustrated with, angry at.
Yet, when you see Naseerudin Shah, Paresh Rawal, and Boman Irani fill the screen in tight close-ups taking this one chance to show their mettle you want to forgive everything. It’s as much credit to them as it is to Neha Dhupia that she can stand tall before them and treat their characters as trash (the way its intended to).
And yet, a movie with such talent (even if you keep Neha Dhupia out of the equation) at its disposal and them living up to it too, cannot evoke any kind of emotion, is rather disheartening. Moreover, at it heart, the premise arouses a good deal of curiosity. So, maybe, that extra something they went for through a-moment-longer-than necessary pauses, caused the damage.
- meeta, a part of the audience
- Violence: Murder, suicide, gagging
- Nudity & Sexual content: Neha dhupia is skimpy clothes.
- Concept: characters lying and cheating in order to get their hands on money.
Maharathi - Movie Details
- Official Sites: Website Facebook Wikipedia IMDB
- Banner: Shree Ashtavinayak Cine Vision Ltd
- Producer: Shree Ashtavinayak Cine Vision Ltd
- Director: Shivam Nair
- Lead Cast: Paresh Rawal, Neha Dhupia, Boman Irani
- Supporting Cast: Naseeruddin Shah, Tara Sharma, Om Puri
- Story: Uttam Gada
- Screenplay: Uttam Gada
- Dialogues: Uttam Gada, Uttam Gada
- Cinematography: Venu Isc, Venu Isc
- Editor: Aarti Bajaj
- Background Score: Clinton Cerejo, Rajat Dholakia
- Choreography: Remo
- Music Director: Shibani Kashyap
- Lyrics: Sanjay Chell
- Art Direction: Wasiq Khan
- Facebook Page: Link
- Running time: 120 minutes
- Reviewer: meeta
- Language: Hindi
- Country: India
- Genres: Thriller