Lakshmi - Review
Click on the tabs below for wogma review, external reviews, user reviews, and twitter verdict
Lakshmi's synopsis on Bookmyshow reads -
Lakshmi, a 13 year old girl is kidnapped and sold into prostitution. Thrown into this horrific, inhuman world where she is raped and brutally beaten she struggles to survive with the help of the other girls and her own will to never give in.
It makes Lakshmi, the film, sound like a run-of-the-mill struggle to victory story, which it very well might be. The film though sensitizes you to horrific human trafficking and how helpless the situation is. At the same time, you do realise that real-life must be only worse. The bravery of one girl, Lakshmi sounds unreal and that is what sets the film apart - it is based on true life. Lakshmi's bravery is real.
The narrative feels so real that many a time, it feels like a documentary. Yet, it is difficult to judge if this would have come through if it were not for the brilliant performances - from Monali Thakur, to Shifaali Shah to Satish Kaushik to Nagesh Kukunoor himself. You feel hatred towards the pimp, Chinna played by Nagesh Kukunoor as strongly as you feel Lakshmi and Jyothi's pain through Monali Thakur and and Shifaali Shah respectively.
Equal weightage has to be given the unavoidable crass language. It's not just the curse words but the brazen lines with which prostitution and related issues are portrayed that hits you but not in a wannabe way. It is perfectly in tune with the subject in hand.
When it comes down to stories based on real life with soulful narration, there is very little to say other than, "go watch it, because you need to."
Of course, Lakshmi is a very difficult and intense watch - for women, for sure, and hopefully for men too.
- meeta, a part of the audience
- Violence: Lots and pretty cruel too, even if off screen.
- Language: Lots of abusive language
- Nudity & Sexual content: The film is an intense look at human trafficking and prostitution. Even if there is no explicitly shown nudity or sexual content the topic itself is
- Concept: An intense look at human trafficking and prostitution. And of course, the survival of a young girl through the toughest of times.
- General Look and Feel: No frills, nothing fancy. As is.
Lakshmi - Movie Details
- Official Sites: YouTube Wikipedia
- Producer: Nagesh Kukunoor, Satish Kaushik, Pramod Sharma, Elahe Hiptoola, Jayantilal Gada
- Director: Nagesh Kukunoor
- Lead Cast: Monali Thakur, Shefali Chhaya Shah, Nagesh Kukunoor
- Supporting Cast: Satish Kaushik, Ram Kapoor, Flora saini, Vibha Chibber, Gulfam
- Story: Nagesh Kukunoor
- Editor: Sanjib Datta
- Background Score: Tapas Relia
- Lyrics: Manoj Yadav
- Costume Designer: Aparna Shah
- Running time: 115 minutes
- Reviewer: meeta
- Language: Hindi
- Country: India
- Genres: Based on true life story, Social
Lakshmi - Trailer
If you cannot see a video above, click here to see it on YouTube