Kuku Mathur Ki Jhand Ho Gayi - Review
Click on the tabs below for wogma review, external reviews, user reviews, and twitter verdict
A coming-of-age film about the protagonist who starts out as a loser, good-for-nothing. Been there, seen that. But Kuku Mathur Ki Jhand Lag Gayi tries its hand at being different. It goes about the "coming-of-age" bit in a non-conventional, non-likeable way even. It adds a little zany to it. But, unfortunately in the end, it plummets into the worst kind of run-of-the-mill.
Kuku's cousin Prabhakar helps clueless Kuku in a very Bawarchi kind of a way. He just happens to be around to help anyone who needs help in Kuku's family. His means might not be the most honest ones, but get the Mathur family members what they want, they do.
Kuku Mathur Ki Jhand Lag Gayi has its share of annoying, loud characters. Their existence seem to be to make the film feature length from a short. The satirical bits of the writing induce some humor. But, they are stretched so long that you wonder if the writers were only being satirical or they really believed in the hocus-pocus shown. The borderline between spoof and using spoof as a medium to show exactly the same thing that you are spoofing.
Interestingly, this humbug is where the craziness of the film begins. I am all for quirk in films, but this one gets too literal instead of staying subtle and it comes a bit too late in the film too.
Then you are left with the performances. Siddharth Gupta and Amit Sial are the only ones you'd remember after you walk out of the theater. And maybe Pallavi Batra for the loud character she plays annoyingly and aptly. None of this enough to make Kuku Mathur Ki Jhand Lag Gayi a watchable film.
And what's with the seemingly profanity in the title? Or maybe I don't want to know.
- meeta, a part of the audience
- Violence: A warehouse is set on fire.
- Language: Clean. Though I'm not too sure if "jhand" itself is a clean word.
- Nudity & Sexual content: None.
- Concept: Self-discovery.
- General Look and Feel: An attempt at keeping it light with satire, but goes weird.
Kuku Mathur Ki Jhand Ho Gayi - Movie Details
- Official Sites: Facebook Twitter Wikipedia IMDB
- Banner: Balaji Motion Pictures, Gateway Films
- Producer: Ekta Kapoor, Bejoy Nambiar
- Director: Aman Sachdeva
- Lead Cast: Siddharth Gupta, Simran Kaur Mundi
- Facebook Page: Link
- Running time: 110 minutes
- Reviewer: meeta
- Language: Hindi
- Country: India
- Genres: Comedy, Philosophy, Relationships