Jab We Met - Notepad
An entertaining first half that establishes the characters and an emotionally charged second half keeps you interested in a rather regular love story. The story is as far from reality as can be, but then, that is what escapist cinema is all about, right?
Click on the tabs below for wogma review, external reviews, user reviews, and twitter verdict
This page has additional observations, other than the ones noted in the main review.
Warning: this section has some details that could distort your experience while watching the movie. I strongly recommend reading this only after you have seen the movie or if you have decided not to see it.
The full-of-life Geet (Kareena Kapoor) meets a very glum Aditya Kashyap (Shahid Kapoor) in a train. She forces him to talk to her, to amuse her and to take her to Bhatinda. What transpires in this journey and thereafter, is what we see in 2.5 hours.
- The use, or rather non-use, of sound. Especially, the sound of the train used to drown the irrelevant dialogue.
- Amazing how good Kareena looked, even though she was wearing a t-shirt over a Patiala salwar.
- Shahid Kapoor and Kareena Kapoor's performances in the scene where he meets her in Shimla - Terrific emotionally charged scene.
- Kareena Kapoor's change of expression from laughter to sorrow in the Shimla hotel room scene.
- Use of overacting by Shahid Kapoor to show discomfort in the Shimla hotel room scene.
What did not
- A number of transitions in characters' attitudes happen without a satisfying reason -
- Aditya's attitude towards his mother
- Anshuman's attitude towards Geet - explanation given for the change is rather lame.
- Geet's family's attitude towards her eloping. All the build-up toward them opposing her wedding translates to nothing.
- Geet's change of heart for Anshuman was rather haphazard.
- The taxi scene was shot very shoddily. It felt like I was watching a movie from the 50s.
- The sets and lighting of Ratlam city were shabby too.
- Does every person from the entire Sikh community really enjoy embarrassing himself/herself?
- Can you really go from a second class compartment to the AC compartment from inside the train?
- How is Geet managing to fit an everlasting supply of clothes in a small backpack?
- Why is Geet's family in business suits most of the time?