Honeymoon Travels Pvt. Ltd. - Notepad
Dir: Reema Kagti
The first half of this movie is really funny. Acting is super. I had a few problems with the characterisation. Would have been better, if there wasn't a forced story for every couple.
Click on the tabs below for wogma review, external reviews, user reviews, and twitter verdict
This page has additional observations, other than the ones noted in the main review.
Warning: this section has some details that could distort your experience while watching the movie. I strongly recommend reading this only after you have seen the movie or if you have decided not to see it.
Twelve newly-weds have booked their first trip as a married couple to Goa through Honeymoon Travels Pvt. Ltd. Their individual stories, the romance and sometimes the lack thereof is all handled mostly in the lighter vein.
- The length of the movie - Short enough to keep your attention and long enough to narrate six stories
- The parachute scene - it was shot very well.
- Radio Mirchi's announcer - since it is laced with good dialogue, it doesn't annoy like most product placement does.
- The situation in which Aspi (Abhay Deol) and Zara (Minissha Lamba) meet. The way it is narrated is very comical.
- The whole Nahid (Shabana Azmi)-Oscar (Boman Irani) track. It was a "sooo sweeeet" realtionship.
- The scene in which Partho (Kay Kay Menon) gets drunk. Real and funny.
- Pinky (Amisha Patel) and her annoying blabber-mouth. And the reactions people listening to her had. Some of her lines kept me in splits for some time after the movie was over.
What did not
Just because this list is long doesn't mean I have to hate the movie. My overall rating indicates the general feeling I have while leaving the theatre. There can still be things that I did not like.
- The character inconsistency in Madhu's character played by Sandhya Mridul. What exactly made her change from a simple girl-next-door to a girl who dresses and behaves liberally? Also why exactly did she not want a divorce, what was in it for her?
- Also Partho and Milly (Raima Sen) somehow don't seem real. If Partho is conservative he could never have let Milly get away with whatever she was doing. And if Milly was really so free-spirited, she could never have been dominated.
I won't talk about how. I don't think they could be attracted to each other given their base characters because what attracts one person to the other is I think not definable. Ok, enough philosophy!
- The stand on why women should not be forced to wear a sari and how it is okay to elope when you are in love. This was not the right forum.
- The driver's dark character. Please don't tell me his character existed only so Nahid (Shabana Azmi) could give a speech.
- Shilpa's (Dia Mirza) reappearance - absolutely unnecessary. Again, I suspect it was to drill in the point that lovers should not be forced apart.
- Did Aspi get bubble soap from a toy store so that he could blow bubbles on his wife while she was sleeping? Then again, that could be a geek's style of romance!
- Why did the super-hero have to disappear? What actual business was he conducting?
- The foreigner saw the super-hero, right? So, what was the super-hero doing?
- Why was Shabana Azmi crying in the bathroom?