Review - Hello Darling: Women power wasted
Hello Darling aims to take a decent premise and juice the sense out of it. It looks like it succeeds, even beyond the imagination of the makers. I understand drop in production values because of low budgets, but making fools out of decent actors is inexcusable.
Click on the tabs below for wogma review, external reviews, user reviews, and twitter verdict
I guess the point of Hello Darling is to bring the working woman's sentiment against the casting-couch-types out in the open. But isn't there a less crass way of doing it. If not, isn't there any new way to do crass? At least none involved in Hello Darling thought so.
Where does one begin the complaints from? sigh
After having closed my eyes and mulled over that one for a bit, I think my biggest grievance is against the way the actors were used. I admit, I was a teeny-weeny bit excited with the news that my teenage crush (this was in the "Videocon Flashback" days) Javed Jaffrey, is doing a male solo lead. I had hopes from the team that realized he could carry off a movie shared my belief that he can do more than slapstick. But, as you've guessed, that isn't meant to be. Not yet.
Other than Gul Panag, the women though are not really known for their acting prowess. But looks like she too has been made to pull a page out of their book in shrieking and making faces which are irrelevant or exaggerate or both. I don't think it is their fault either, I think they did exactly what they were told to do. And they clearly weren't asked to better themselves.
Same goes for almost each department of film-making. The dialogue was what goes with the slapstick - cheap innuendoes, scurrying around, slaps and all. The songs were there because they are "expected" to be there. Actors who can't do the Bollywood dance bit are made to dance, and Javed Jaffrey is on the bench.
I know one is not supposed to expect from films with posters boasting a man in boxer shorts. I know one is not supposed to expect much when the name, Hardik is spelled as Harddick. But the hopeful in me wants to like a film, wants to love it. Oh well, there's always a next time.
- meeta, a part of the audience
- Violence: none
- Language: Sexual innuendoes throughout
- Nudity & Sexual content: Skimpily clad women, cleavages and all
- Concept: That of women fighting against the evil eye of lusting men.
- General Look and Feel: Bright and noisy.
Hello Darling - Movie Details
- Official Sites: Website Wikipedia IMDB
- Banner: Malpix Pictures
- Producer: Ashok Ghai
- Director: Manoj Tiwari
- Lead Cast: Gul Panag, Celina Jaitley, Eesha Koppikhar, Jaaved Jaaferi
- Supporting Cast: Divya Dutta, Chunkey Pandey, Seema Biswas
- Story: Pankaj Trivedi, Sachin Shah
- Screenplay: Sachin Shah
- Dialogues: Pankaj Trivedi
- Cinematography: Ravi Yadav, Ravi Yadav
- Editor: Chirag Jain, Sanjay Koli
- Background Score: Sanjoy Chowdhury
- Choreography: Raju Khan, Remo, Pony Varma, Ritchie , Raka
- Music Director: Pritam Chakraborty
- Lyrics: Shabbir Ahmed, Kumaar, Ashiesh Pandit
- Costume Designer: Reza Shariffi
- Running time: 100 minutes
- Reviewer: meeta
- Language: Hindi
- Country: India
- Genres: Slapstick