Freaky Ali - Review
Click on the tabs below for wogma review, external reviews, user reviews, and twitter verdict
There is a certain amount of drama necessary in a film that is about a sports underdog. You need something to root for the protagonist. You don't really need an antagonist. The circumstances usually play enough of a villain. Freaky Ali, unfortunately has you rooting for Nawazuddin Siddiqui, the actor who plays Freaky Ali and not Ali himself.
Ali is as uninteresting a character as it can get. Sure, he is given plenty of analogies as one line quips. But, they barely bring a smile. In fact, a lot of them are outright cheesy. Nawazuddin Siddiqui's dialogue delivery and body language lends them some dignity and hence make them tolerable. It actually, physically hurts to not like a film with an actor of Nawazuddin Siddiqui's calibre. The other performances are like those you would find in any other loud, slapstick film.
In fact, that is what a lot of Freaky Ali ultimately is, an attempt at slapstick comedy with a coherent story. There it achieves its purpose. But in entertaining us, it does not. The story by itself is like any other sports drama except that the drama is just not enough. Yes, it is tough for me to accept that I am asking for more drama. This is despite our hero Ali being in a situation that is closing in on him from both sides.
The problem is that all the elements exist - romantic angle, the betrayal, the hardship, the setbacks – but they all seem rather perfunctory. None of them get your attention, let alone make it pique. Of course, it is all predictable – that is a given for any underdog story anyway, isn't it?
There is only so much an ordinary story can stand on its actor's shoulders. Even if they are as broad as that of Nawazuddin Siddiqui.
- meeta, a part of the audience
- Violence: A comic fight sequence or two.
- Language: Clean
- Nudity & Sexual content: A short sequence in a red light area. Lechering and eve-teasing.
- Concept: A talented golfer rises from the slums.
- General Look and Feel: Ordinary.
Freaky Ali - Movie Details
- Official Sites: Facebook Twitter YouTube Wikipedia IMDB
- Banner: Salman Khan Films
- Producer: Salman Khan
- Director: Sohail Khan
- Lead Cast: Nawazuddin Siddiqui, Arbaaz Khan
- Supporting Cast: Amy Jackson, Nikitin Dheer, Jasmeet Dhodi, Jas Arora, Paresh Ganatra, Seema Biswas, Jackie Shroff, Asif Basra
- Story: Sohail Khan
- Screenplay: Sohail Khan, Raaj Shandilya
- Dialogues: Raaj Shandilya
- Cinematography: Mahesh Limaye
- Editor: Prashant Singh Rathore
- Action Choreography: Ravi Varma
- Music Director: Sajid Ali, Wajid Ali
- Costume Designer: Vikram Chopra
- Facebook Page: Link
- Running time: 120 minutes
- Reviewer: meeta
- Language: Hindi
- Country: India
- Genres: Sports
Freaky Ali - Trailer
If you cannot see a video above, click here to see it on YouTube