Dolly Ki Doli - Review
Click on the tabs below for wogma review, external reviews, user reviews, and twitter verdict
You find yourself siding with a con-artist. Not just a person who dupes the other of money. She robs emotions, feelings and wears the thievery on her sleeve. She takes offense when she hasn't been able to win someone over with her charm. She takes it up as a challenge that has to be won. Not a very likeable attitude for a person you would know in real life. Yet, you cheer for the screen her.
In a sense, you feel her liberation and you are with her when she says, she might find more freedom in a prison than being locked in a marriage. Especially, given how possessive the recipients of her fake-affection get.
Yet, not much of your involvement can be attributed to much about the film. It is very difficult to figure out what exacly makes you root for Dolly. The dialogue isn't very interesting, neither is its delivery. There isn't much striking about the other departments of the film either. The music is the kind you'd find in every other film.
Sonam Kapoor in the lead comes across very stiff, even a little more than her usual self. Sure, the side actors do their bit well from Rajkummar Rao to Archana Puran Singh, but none of the characters have enough depth to make themselves believable.
Even a shallow character like Archana Puran Singh's can evoke an emotion if written better. It is this mixture that confuse your loyalties. The victims of the con-artists' con-job are not very likeable. Then, it all boils down to Sonam Kapoor's persona itself – the actor, not the character she plays. Her face, the fact that she is the lead lady, takes away from the film.
Sure, there is nothing wrong with liking the anti-hero. But, somehow it kept me distracted through the film. I don't like the character so much, then why do I want her to get away with it? And yet again, I find myself liking a film more than I usually would because of what I didn't “get” about the film. The only thing I know for sure is I enjoyed the overall concept and felt a liberation of sorts with the way the film ended.
- meeta, a part of the audience
- Violence: None
- Language: Abusive language silenced out. Not too much of it anyway
- Nudity & Sexual content: Guys trying to make out with their new bride.
- Concept: A con woman gets guys to marry her and runs away the night of the wedding with everything the groom owns.
- General Look and Feel: Bright and peppy.
Dolly Ki Doli - Movie Details
- Official Sites: Facebook Twitter YouTube Wikipedia IMDB
- Banner: Arbaaz Khan Productions, Kinesis Films
- Producer: Arbaaz Khan, Malaika Arora Khan
- Director: Abhishek Dogra
- Lead Cast: Sonam Kapoor, Rajkummar Rao
- Supporting Cast: Pulkit Samrat, Varun Sharma, Rajesh Sharma, Malaika Arora Khan, Manoj Joshi, Archana Puran Singh, Mohammed Zeeshan Ayyub
- Story: Uma Shankar Singh, Abhishek Dogra
- Editor: Hemal Kothari
- Background Score: Sanjay Chowdhury
- Choreography: Remo D'Souza, Mudassar Khan, Shabeena Khan, Lollypop
- Music Director: Sajid, Wajid
- Lyrics: Irfan Kamal, Danish Sabri, Kumaar
- Costume Designer: Ashley Rebello, Alvira Agnihotri
- Facebook Page: Link
- Running time: 100 minutes
- Reviewer: meeta
- Language: Hindi
- Country: India
- Genres: Comedy, Romance
Dolly Ki Doli - Trailer
If you cannot see a video above, click here to see it on YouTube