Chalo Dilli - Review
Click on the tabs below for wogma review, external reviews, user reviews, and twitter verdict
If you have even simply commuted to work using public transport, you know about that pesky co-traveller. You don't even need a trip longer than just-a-commute to know about that one. And imagine you are anal retentive, almost obsessive compulsive and that intrusive co-traveller is also unhygienic and loud. And now imagine this is you, but you are the third traveller watching one annoy the other. Damn funny, right? And why not? When you aren't the one suffering. And that’s exactly what happens in Challo Dilli. Unfortunately, it goes overboard with the situations in the second half.
You will have a smile pasted for every bit of the first half of the film. And then you see the writer's desperation to make the story a little more than just a regular road trip. You see them suddenly take a plunge into crime & politics. Maybe this is their attempt at picking the pace a bit post-interval, but it didn't work for me.
Maybe because I had settled into the lazy, pleasant stroll that the film had set-up. The shift in the quantity and quality of events thereafter came as a jolt. The subtle hints on the Mumbai vs. Delhi attitude, the city vs. small-town mentality, the upper middle class vs. lower middle-class divide transform into on-the-face comments about the society we live in and socio-politics take over.
But with Vinay Pathak and his all-so refreshing performance, everything looks tolerable. That Lara Dutta wasn't acting as if she had no brains was an added bonus. They had some very nice witty, everyday language going on too.
The well-executed camera work and the engaging background music made the experience even better. Usually, when these departments draw attention, it gets registered in my head negatively. But here they add a lot to the two hours spent on the film.
Go along, be the third person watching all the fun on this funny, quirky journey, even if it’s a DVD watch.
- meeta, a part of the audience
- Violence: Not really.
- Language: A few swear words.
- Nudity & Sexual content: An item song set in a village bar.
- Concept: A small-town man and a urban-bred woman are forced to spend time together.
- General Look and Feel: Pleasant and light
Chalo Dilli - Movie Details
- Official Sites: Website Facebook Twitter YouTube Wikipedia IMDB
- Banner: Eros Entertainment, Big Daddy Productions, Bheegi Basanti Entertainment
- Producer: Krishika Lulla, Lara Dutta, Kavita Bhupati Chadda
- Director: Shashant Shah
- Lead Cast: Vinay Pathak, Lara Dutta
- Supporting Cast: Gaurav Gera, Pankaj Jha, Brijendra Kala, Hanish Kalia, Dadhey Pandey, Rahul Singh
- Story: Arshad Sayed
- Screenplay: Arshad Sayed
- Dialogues: Arshad Sayed
- Cinematography: Nikos Andritsakis, Nikos Andritsakis
- Editor: Aseem Sinha
- Background Score: Rohit Kulkarni
- Music Director: Gourav Dasgupta, Anand Raj Anand, Sachin Gupta, Rohit Kulkarni, Roshan Balu
- Lyrics: Manthan, Anand Raj Anand, Krishika Lulla, Shabbir Ahmed, Nisha Mascarenhas
- Costume Designer: Rushi Sharma
- Facebook Page: Link
- Running time: 110 minutes
- Reviewer: meeta
- Language: Hindi
- Country: India
- Genres: Comedy, Crime, Docu-drama
Chalo Dilli - Trailer
If you cannot see a video above, click here to see it on YouTube