Kya Love Story Hai - Notepad
Boy-next-door meets girl-next-door and their story translates to screen as a love-movie-next-door. This love story makes an arranged marriage look interesting. The movie lover that I am, I have still tried to give it a positive spin.
Click on the tabs below for wogma review, external reviews, user reviews, and twitter verdict
This page has additional observations, other than the ones noted in the main review.
Warning: this section has some details that could distort your experience while watching the movie. I strongly recommend reading this only after you have seen the movie or if you have decided not to see it.
Arjun (Tusshar Kapoor) falls in love with Kajal. But, never tells her. How she finds out and what happens till then is what this love story is all about.
All my energies have been soaked up while talking about the "goods" of this movie in the main review. You got to be kidding if you want more!
What did not
- What was the Kareena Kapoor song doing in the movie?!? Okay, she looked gorgeous. But what the purpose?
- The slapstick - inflated cleavages, inflatable girlfriends, resounding and oft-repeated slaps...yuck!
- The screenplay - a lesson on how choppy a screenplay can really be.
- The dialogues - E.g.,
- Arjun makes a philosophical comment about love. His friends react jokingly "kya dialogue hai!!" (what a dialogue!!). Arjun says, "zyaada emotional mat ban" (Don't get too emotional). Huh!?!
- An interviewer says, "It's rare to find an Indian with an attitude like you". What? Come again? - and guess what the job is - a railway ticket seller!
- At a pub, Arjun's friends are being beaten up by a macho man. He holds both of them in nooses made by his hands. He seems to be tightening the grip of those nooses every once in a while. But, the friends don't have any reaction to the tightening. Shouldn't it hurt more with every tightening?
- Arjun's friend Romeo seems to have been punched on his eye in the scene above. He is in a bath tub after that where he doesn't have a black eye. In the next scene, when he is walking with Arjun, there is a black eye!!
- In a game of rugby, isn't the aim to get the ball past the opponent's goalpost? Arjun was supposedly running to his opponents goalpost when he passes the ball to one of his opponents. Now, isn't his opponent supposed to run in the opposite direction? Why did he continue in the same direction as Arjun? And why did he pass the ball to the opponent in the first place? That I attribute to brilliant script-writing.
- What ever happened to the gift that Arjun and his friends were supposed to bring for Rocky?
- Arjun is a superhero. He doesn't need to look forward while driving. Or it's all about love. He can see the whole world in his lover's eyes including the road that he is driving on
- It is amazing how neatly Arjun writes, while he is looking at the camera. Now you believe, he is a superhero?
- What's with all the lip gloss the men are wearing?!
- Ranveer's employee is waiting for him with a placard at an airport. But, turns out, both recognize each other. What was the placard for?
- Why is everybody standing outdoors in a lecture during a seminar? It's a college not the Rose Garden for goodness sake.
- Our other man, Ranveer, too is a superhero. He knows whether Kajal is saying yes or no, on the phone, without her saying a word. Or is it "true love" again?
- South Africa doesn't seem to have many rules for driving. No seat belts, talking on phone while driving. Or one of Superhero-2's powers is that he doesn't care for rules.
- All South Africans seem to have a very good command of Hindi.
- And all Indians in South Africa stick to their "Indianness" by being fully clad - denims and all - on a beach.
- The priest at a wedding says, "by the power invested in me". It is "by the power vested in me"!!
- Why are guests at John-Suzanne's wedding invited for Ranveer's wedding? He barely knows John-Suzanne, let alone their guests
- Arjun is asking for some papers to be sent to him at 'his place' when he is on a vacation at some some far-away place!
Sapna, a reader, has this additional observation -
Another hilarious incident in the movie is Kajal's friend engagement. Immediately after the engagement is another shot of her and Kajal in which she does not even have a ring in her finger.