Eklavya - Notepad
Eklayva has some great performances and was shot very beautifully. But, there are too many holes in the story which keep you from enjoying the experience. Overall, I was disappointed. I didn't like the way the story was narrated. The style gave away what was to come next and that was anti-climatic. The last 15-20 minutes were just unbearable and unacceptable from this banner.
Click on the tabs below for wogma review, external reviews, user reviews, and twitter verdict
This page has additional observations, other than the ones noted in the main review.
Warning: this section has some details that could distort your experience while watching the movie. I strongly recommend reading this only after you have seen the movie or if you have decided not to see it.
Eklavya (Amitabh Bachchan), like his ancestors, is the guard of a royal family. He considers it his duty to protect the current "Rana" (Boman Irani) and his family (Sharmila Tagore, Saif Ali Khan, and Raima Sen). This family has its sercrets. What secrets? You have to find out on your own.
- There's this shot in the first 15 minutes where you feel like you are in a vehicle and it turns out that the character is in a helicopter. Cool cameramanship.
- The romantic scenes between Prince Harshawardhan and Rajjo. Great chemistry!
- The scene where Prince Udaywardhan kicks Eklavya - the kick makes sand go in the air. It is just for a couple of seconds, but has been done beautifully.
- The way Jyotiwardhana is killed.
What did not
- It is unclear how Rana Jayawardhan came to know the big secret. Just because Rani asks for Eklavya while dying?
- The pigeon and bells scene would have been much better without the extra “drama”
- Why did Prince Udaywardhan kick Eklavya while his dad was shooting Rana Jayawardhan? To attract attention?
- The logic behind Eklavya wanting to kill Prince Harshawardhan. Does his ‘dharma’ ask him to take revenge? Isn’t Prince Harshawardhan the new Rana? Isn’t Eklavya’s “dharma” now to protect Rana Harshawardhan?
- Which “pooja” is going on in the last scene? What is so important about it that the whole village is attending it even though it is being performed by a chauffer’s daughter (or were we supposed to assume that Rajjo is now the queen?)?
- Was wondering, where in India and when was this movie set? Rajasthan or Gujarat, most likely. Would have been nice to know, since it sets the context.
- The previews showed Amitabh Bachchan shouting, "Eklavya". What was that about? It is not in the movie, why was he calling out his own name?
- Raima Sen is shown flying a kite. Where was the reel?
- Where exactly was Rana Jayawardhan shot? His arm? He died because he got shot in the arm? Where were the holes that the bullets made in his jacket?
- Those were some really long trains!
- Eklavya who is wrinkled through the movie suddenly has rosy pink cheeks in the last scene. Looks like he is one happy man!