Bahubali (Hindi, Telugu) - Review
Click on the tabs below for wogma review, external reviews, user reviews, and twitter verdict
Bahubali is appealing to the eye. The sets look exotic, the cinematography is breathtaking. The entire set-up is extravagant. There is one long, awesomely choreographed war sequence. And that's it. It is a 2 hour 40 minute long film. It has unnecessary songs that in fact, seemed cheesy to me - and this I felt after a long time. The story has some thing going about it, but it runs out of steam and/or money by the time the climax approaches. Given this list of pros and cons, it finally boils down to whether or not you can watch and like a film mostly for its scale and visuals.
Bahubali might have still been worth recommending if it were not for major plot points left hanging before “the conclusion” was declared. There were at least two sub-plots that were dwelt on through out the film, but weren't explained at all, let alone satisfactorily.
I also wonder, if the film would've worked better if it avoided the flashback and pasted the “history” before the current times instead of moving back and forth. A chronological telling of the story might have worked better in building the story.
But, from the way it has ended up, looks like the story didn't feature in the top ten priorities. It was more like the idea of shooting a great war scene came about and a story was conceptualised to justify the big war. A story that makes you feel it was reverse engineered, isn't what I like in my films. The rest is secondary.
~ ~ ~
ps: I watched the version dubbed in Hindi.
- meeta, a part of the audience
- Violence: Loads of war scenes and scenes of torture – and gruesome too.
- Language: Clean
- Nudity & Sexual content: A couple of songs with some physical intimacy shown, though nothing graphic. One scene which implies sex.
- Concept: A war is brimming and then it happens.
- General Look and Feel: Visually very appealing.
Bahubali - Movie Details
- Official Sites: Facebook Twitter YouTube Wikipedia IMDB
- Banner: Dharma Productions, AA Films, Arka Media Works Pvt Ltd
- Producer: Karan Johar
- Director: S S Rajamouli
- Lead Cast: Prabhas, Rana Daggubati, Anushka Shetty
- Supporting Cast: Tamannaah Bhatia, Sathyaraj, Nasser, Ramya Krishnan, Sudeep, Adivi Sesh, Tanikella Bharani, Rakesh Varre
- Story: V. Vijayendra Prasad
- Screenplay: S S Rajamouli
- Editor: Kotagiri Venkateswara Rao
- Music Director: M.M. Kareem
- Lyrics: Manoj Muntashir
- Facebook Page: Link
- Running time: 160 minutes
- Reviewer: meeta
- Language: Hindi, Telugu
- Country: India
- Categories: Regional
- Genres: War
Bahubali - Trailer
If you cannot see a video above, click here to see it on YouTube